The cardholder is responsible for all materials checked out on their card. Parents/guardians are responsible for all materials checked out on a minor’s card linked to their account. There are no age restrictions on borrowing any library materials.
WPL cardholders may place holds on circulating items, except for those in the Lucky Day collection, and will be notified when items are ready for pickup. Items ready for pickup are placed on the hold shelf located just inside the library near the east entrance. Items not picked up within 4 days are removed from hold and put back in circulation.
- Lucky Day Books - 1 week
- New Adult Fiction Books – 2 weeks
- All other Books – 3 weeks
- Audiobooks – 3 weeks
- DVDs and Blu-rays – 1 week
- Music CDs, Magazines, Discover Packs, CD Kits, Learning Kits – 2 weeks
- Video Games, Tech2Go, STEAM Kits – 1 week
- Reference Material, Newspapers – do not circulate
- LINKin Books and Audiobooks - 4 weeks
- LINKin DVDs & Blu-rays- 2 weeks
- ILL materials - 3 weeks
- eBooks and Audiobooks from Libby - 3 weeks
- eBooks and Audiobooks from Boundless- 2 weeks
- eMagazines & Newspapers - always available, no limit
In general, there are no limits on the number of items that may be checked from the physical collection, but the library may place restrictions when necessary.
- eBooks and Audiobooks from Libby - limit 10
- eBooks and Audiobooks from Boundless- limit 5
Loan periods for WPL items may be extended to 6 weeks for all materials except items on hold, new items and books in the Lucky Day collection. DVDs and Blu-rays will be allowed a maximum two-week extended loan.
All materials will automatically renew three days before they are due, unless the item is on hold or is a Lucky Day book.
- WPL items renew up to four times
- LINKin and ILL items renew one time
The renewal date is calculated from the date the item is renewed, not the due date. When eligible, items are renewed for the same amount of time as the original checkout period.
You can renew items yourself by logging in to My Account.
Library material may be returned at any of these locations. If an item is too large for the opening, please return it to the Welcome Desk.
- Inside near the east entrance, off the parking lot. Available when the library is open.
- Outside on the southeast side of the building. Available any time.
- Park District Community Center on Blanchard Street, lower level. Available when the park district building is open. Library pickup times are Tuesday and Thursday.
The library sends notices via email, text and automated phone calls. Be sure your email address and phone number is correct in My Account, or sign up for text messages.
- Hold Notice – the morning or afternoon when the item becomes available
- Reminder Notice – 3 days before the due date (email and text only)
- 1st Overdue Notice – 3 days after the due date
- 2nd Overdue Notice – 7 days after the due date
- 3rd Overdue Notice – 14 days after the due date
- Bill – 21 days after the due date; the borrower is charged for the item plus a $5.00 processing fee and the account is blocked.
- Recovery Agency – 35 days after the due date when the total amount owed is $25.00 or more. The borrower is charged an additional $10 recovery fee.
Sign up to receive text messages when holds are ready for pickup, items are almost due and when items are overdue. Texts are available in English and Spanish. The library does not charge a fee for this service, but your cell phone plan’s regular text messaging rates apply.
Text SIGNUP to 630-868-9361 or use this form
Follow the prompts to text your library card number and PIN. Providing your email address is optional. Opt in/out at any time.
WPL does not charge overdue fines for materials returned late. However, an item not returned within 21 days of the due date is considered lost and a bill to replace the item, including a $5.00 processing fee, is sent and the account is blocked.
Patrons are responsible for returning items on time and paying for lost and damaged items. Notices are sent as a courtesy and the library is not responsible for the borrower’s failure to receive them.
Library cards with $10.00 or more in charges will have a block placed on the account. A parent’s or guardian’s card may be blocked if the charges on a juvenile card for which they have signed exceed $10.00.
Blocked accounts will be unable to check out materials or download eContent until the charges on the account are less than $10.00.
An item not returned within 21 days of the due date is considered lost and a bill to replace the item, including a $5.00 processing fee, is sent. Patrons who cannot find an item may report it lost at any time and will receive a bill that includes the replacement cost and processing fee.
Patrons are liable for the cost of a damaged item, except where such damage is determined to be the result of normal wear and tear. A borrower will be assessed the price of the damaged item plus a $5.00 processing fee.
If a patron returns an item that still shows as checked out on their account, they should call the library at 630-868-7510 to let us know.
Library staff will search for the item for 4 weeks. If the item is found, it will be cleared from the patron’s account. If the item is not found it will be considered lost and the patron will be sent a bill that includes the replacement cost plus a $5.00 processing fee.
Log in to My Account with your library barcode number and PIN to
- View and renew items checked out
- Place, view and suspend holds
- Change your PIN
- Change your email address, telephone number and method for receiving notices. Please call us if your address has changed.
- View Reading History to see what you've checked out over time. You must Opt In to start this process and can Opt Out at any time.
- View My Lists to keep track of titles you'd like to check out
- View Saved Searches for a favorite author or topic. Check the box for email if you would like to be notified when an item that matches your saved search is added to the catalog.
Your PIN may be the last 4 digits of your phone number. When making a new PIN it must be only numbers and between 4 and 30 characters long.
A PIN is required to access My Account, use a Checkout Station, check out eContent or sign in to the Library app.
Forgot your PIN? There is a link to reset your PIN on the My Account login page. You must have a valid email address in My Account for this to work. If you don't have an email address, call the library at 630-868-7510 to have your PIN reset.